Wednesday, October 18, 2006

She huffed and she puffed and hopefully gets into shape













Yup, that's right....Victoria is playing Ringette this winter. For those of you that don't know, I used to play Ringette when I was about 10 years old. I played for 2 years in Calgary. We had a pretty good team, went to City Finals. Then my family moved to Wetaskiwin...where they had a Ringette team...but it was a different caliber. I went from playing in a City Finals team to playing with girls that were just learning to skate. Big difference...but I still loved the game so I played for a few more years.
After a couple of years I decided to stop because I didn't appreciate the coaching style of the coach and was finding myself more interested in Volleyball.

But - after a decade and much gained cellulite, I've pulled my old equipment out, blow off the dust and get back on the ice.
Our team is the St. Albert Blades (ya, I'm driving all the way to St. Albert to play....but at least I get to see more of Mike). Our team is made up of women that are not too bad, but mainly out there to have a good time. The age ranges from my age (23) to 44 (yup that's right...44....something to strive for). We're not too bad, but we're mostly out there to have fun. The team has appointed me as a center...only one of two...because they say I have strong skating skills....so that means the entire ice is my territory....and also means I'll be huffing and puffing my way around until I get back into shape.
We had our first game last Sunday and well....to put it plainly, the other team was just better. Younger, in better shape and just plain better ringette players. I'm not going to disclose the score, but I will tell you that out team got one goal....scored by yours truly. (I also got 2 penalties...but they were minor...both accidental trippings)

For those of you that may not know the rules of Ringette, check this link: http://www.ringette.ca/e/about/played.htm (Rob...it's not hockey, but it has it's similarities.)
And...if anyone is interested in coming out sometime to check out a game live, let us know. Our games are usually on the weekends in the evenings.


4 Comments:

Blogger Karyn said...

oh, absolutely, Victoria. I'll come to a game or two! Are they played in St. Albert all the time?

Thu Oct 19, 08:17:00 AM

 
Blogger Mike and Tor said...

They're usually in northern Edmonton or just outside of St. Albert. This weekend I have a game in north Edmonton and next weekend in St. Albert. This weekend I play Saturday night at 8:15pm and next weekend Sunday at 6:45pm. Let me know if you're coming and we'll give you directions. I'm sure Mike would love to have company.

Thu Oct 19, 10:25:00 AM

 
Blogger Rob... said...

Sounds cool.

Thu Oct 19, 11:22:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yo baby..I would love to come watch you play the next time we're in town! Too rushy rushed this time but in Jan (I think?) we should be back and we'll have to time it with one of your games. I love your energy! You're one cool chickito :)

Wed Nov 15, 08:47:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home