Wednesday, October 11, 2006

God Bless George Canyon

Hey ya'll!
Michael and I were in Calgary on Monday and went to Walmart on our way out of town to buy a cd for the trip home. I picked a cd by George Canyon...a newbie to the country scene. He's a Canadian grown, Nova Scotian, Christian Country man that's making waves and winning all the awards in country music right now. If you haven't heard his music, I highly recommend listening to him... as Michael and I were listening to him on the way home, we kept saying over and over after hearing different songs...wow that's an amazing song. What great lyrics this guy has - here's an example of one of his songs...Great song!


Who Would You Be?

We were sitting 'round the table
At the Tuesday poker game,
Solvin' all the problems of the world
Tryin' to draw an inside straight

And Jimmy posed the question
as he played a pair of Kings,
"If you could be anyone in this whole world,
Who would you be?"

"Would you be Elvis,
shaking up Memphis
Making all the young girls scream?
Would you make a speech that would change the world
Like Martin Luther King?
Go down in history like Abe Lincoln
'Cause you set a country free?
If you could be anyone in this whole world,
Tell me who would you be?"

Hank said, "I'd be a Cowboy,
Someone like John Wayne."
Johnny said, "Hey Pilgrim,
Blow that cigar smoke the other way.
"Said he'd make a million dollars
Pitchin' in the Major Leagues.
Then he stared straight into Paul's bloodshot eyes,
And said, "Who would you be?"

"Would you be John Lennon? Can you imagine
Giving hope with just a song.
Would you be the Babe, pointin' that bat
Saying this one's goin' long?
Maybe Moses, partin' the waters
Saying Children follow me.
If you could be anyone in this whole world,
Tell me who would you be?"

I knew those boys
Would roll their eyes
when they heard what I had to say.
But I shuffled the cards
And said, "Deuce's wild."
And I told them anyways.

"I'd be a father who had all the answers
To every question my kids had.
I'd earn every word on that coffee cup
That said world's greatest dad.
Be a perfect husband to that woman,
Who means everything to me.
If I could be anyone in this whole world
That's who I'd be."
Yeah, that's who I'd be.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rob... said...

Even though I'd probably never listen to him. I've heard that he is a great guy and has great lyrics.

Wed Oct 11, 11:22:00 AM

 
Blogger Karyn said...

oh yeah....one of my favorites. AND one of my favorite songs. I love to get CD's of artists that do not surprise me with objectionable or questionable material. GC is one of those.

Here is the beginning of his thank you lines on his newest CD (not the one you bought)
THANKS
As always, Jennifer and I give the Glory to God first and foremost. With everything He has blessed us with in our lives....we are so grateful.

I was impressed that he didn't say thank you to God AND to his wife - He AND his wife said thank you - he has included her as an equal partner in his career by this one sentence, as far as I'm concerned. Inside the CD liner, he introduces many song with "Jennifer and I thought...." or some such thing.

Thu Oct 12, 07:40:00 AM

 
Blogger Karyn said...

BTW, Rob - you should give some of these country artists a try - expand your horizons. They are not as "country" as they used to be. I really think you could learn to enjoy them

Thu Oct 12, 07:41:00 AM

 
Blogger Mike and Tor said...

Wow, that's great. I haven't read the inside cover of the cd yet because I was driving when we were listening and that would be a bit dangerous ;).
I'll have to check it out though.

Thu Oct 12, 11:16:00 AM

 
Blogger arlene said...

I may have to give him a try too. (after all, I do like Corb Lund). Alberta rocks!

Can you two make it out on Sunday for Liam's dedication? There's a lunch afterword at the Van Doesburg farm. We'd love to see you, at Daystar at 10:30.
arlene

Mon Oct 16, 05:31:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home